Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Practice Practice!

I've been regularly swimming at Corona del Mar State Beach and I've been slowly improving.  Last Saturday I did a 1.06 mile swim (new distance PR!) which is two laps of the outer buoys at the beach.  I was BEAT the next day.  The difference in swimming and running is that usually I feel tired after a long run but after a long swim I feel fine for a couple of hours but then I gotta take a nap!  I think I need to look into my post workout fueling plan to see if there's a deficiency there.

Yesterday was a rest day for me, so I contented myself researching how to swim out from under large waves. Unfortunately I managed to freak myself out a bit watching the video of Mark Foo's last surf O_o  This master surfer died from an 18 foot wave.  I'm not about to go try to swim under some 18 foot waves, but I still remember the early days swimming in Huntington Beach getting rolled and spun every which way and goggles flying!  I need to start practicing controlled dives or something so I don't panic when swimming out from under waves...

Of course I couldn't go to bed on the note of watching some water tragedy, so I looked around youtube for some instructions on strokes so I can feel less like trashing around in the water and more like swimming.  I found a bunch of lessons from Terry Laughlin's Total Immersion Swimming and it seemed to me that I could not possibly swim faster when using a slower stroke and limp wrist held not at water level, but since I wasn't going that fast by myself anyway (and tiring myself out very often trying to stroke faster and harder), I thought I would give it a shot .  So I spent about an hour studying the videos and various lectures he gave and gave it a shot!

At first I thought I was going slower than usual, and definitely had to redo how I do my breathing since the strokes were less frequent.  However, I did notice I was moving towards targets faster, and require less breaks overall.  Also, I made less mistakes veering off course than usual.  When I got back on the beach and checked my watch, I improved my time from my best time (last Sunday) by nearly four minutes a mile!  I swam over 100 more yards with with nearly 100 less strokes for the entire way (stroke efficiency improvement!)  Overall still quite slow, but I'm happy that with a bit of studying I was able to improve so much in the span of two days!  One downside is that I managed to strain my left wrist a bit (only noticed it when I was taking off my wetsuit)  but it's feeling a lot better already so I hope it's just minor pain.

I bit the bullet and registered for the Huntington Beach Pier Swim on June 9th!  I'm intimidated because it is a no wetsuit swim!  O__O  I'm sure I can do the half mile swim, but I'm not sure how I'll fare with just a swimsuit.  I'm hoping that the water temps will be at least 65 so I don't die XD  Oh man!  I've been spoiled by a wetsuit!  

I'm also going to visit my parents in Northern California (San Jose area) next week for a week and change and there are NO good places to swim outside within a 30 mile radius!  I have to trek to Pleasanton or Santa Cruz or Live Oak to get some swimming in (yes, I know there exists Half Moon Bay, but there's NO WAY I'm swimming there.  Apparently it's cold and the waves are insane!)  So I think I'll just have to rely on some pool workouts to tide me over until I come back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment