Sunday, February 26, 2012

Like Swimming on a Roller Coaster

I headed out for my first open water swim with my wetsuit yesterday. 

Putting on the suit was a cardio workout on its own.  I put just the legs part of the suit on and drove to the beach, already baking a bit in the thick suit (it was about 65 degrees outside, pretty hot for the suit.)  Once I got to the beach and parked, I put the rest of the suit on and immediately regretted it since I had another half mile walk to the waters.  I thought to myself this would only be a small price to pay to be warm in the waters.

Halfway onto the sands I noticed a warning sign on the sand that there was an unusually high level of bacteria in the water today.  I stopped and thought about turning back for about five seconds. 

"Oh hell no!  This (swim) is happening!  I did not put on this clown suit just to walk back!"  I kept marching towards the water. 

It was bliss! Okay, getting hit by waves still no fun, but the cold sting was gone now that I had a wetsuit on, and I was a bit braver and swam further out, actually treading water this time!  For the first time I treaded water in the ocean.  (Falling off of some rocks into the waves and needing a rescue in the 4th grade does not count XD) 

Overall I would say... swimming in the open water is like swimming on a roller coaster, next to a wife beater.  I would be swimming and feel myself involuntarily lifted with the oncoming waves, and when I least suspect it, I would get smacked by a wave while trying to take a breath. 

I wasn't actually out there for that long, but I was exhausted by the time I got home and took a shower.  Running or cycling to exhaustion I understand, but swimming and I are still new acquaintances and it's hard to "read" how I'm doing.  I'm so bad at open water swimming that for my progress report to my friend after I finished was "Survived." 

More swimming next week!  When the days start getting longer, I might be able to swim after work as well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment